Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

September 14, 2010

corner view~seven

Welcome to corner view everyone.  I am happy to be hosting for the next couple of week's in Jane's absence.  Please check out my girls CV's, Sky's and Annabel's.  They would be so happy.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of seven, in fact the only thing, is my sweet husband, because seven is his favorite number.   I heard about this very early in our relationship, and for good reason.  You can tell a lot about a person by their heroes, and why they are their heroes.
My husband's childhood hero was Micky Mantle, number 7 for the New York Yankees.  And this is why, my husband explained to me over lunch today...

"His father taught him to switch hit.  He was a star baseball and football player in high school, when he was suddenly diagnosed with a form of polio.  The doctors were not sure he would ever walk again. Nonetheless, he tried out for the majors and would end up being the fastest runner from home plate to first base in the history of baseball at that time.  He played with a tremendous amount of pain.  He used 7 miles of tape around his legs every year, and despite missing 30 - 50 games a year because of his injury he became one of the best center fielders in the history of baseball, one of the best and most prolific home run hitters, and he won the triple crown twice. 

"He hit the longest recorded home run in baseball history, over 600 feet! One home run took off a piece of the Washington Senators' scoreboard. One went into the parking lot of a visiting stadium and smashed through someone's car window."

"Why did you idolize Micky Mantle so much, Gary?" I asked. 

He replied,
"Micky Mantle had courage.
He was really humble, he didn't like the publicity.
He would go on the field in unbelievable pain and play the game.
He would never complain.
He didn't make excuses when he struck out.
When he hit a home run he never taunted the pitcher.
He just played baseball."

"Did you ever see him play, Dad?" asked my girls.  By now, having heard the "interview" they were totally intrigued.

"Oh yeah," said Gary.  "I saw him hit a home run on a day when he was in so much pain that he could barely walk.  It was the bottom of the 9th against the Cleveland Indians, I'll never forget that game.  There were two outs and two guys on base.  The Yankees were down by two runs.

"The manager said to Mickey, 'Look kid if you don't hit a home run, don't run.' (Mick was so hurt he shouldn't have been playing.)

"Mick said, 'Don't worry Casey, I can't even walk.'

"Micky limped to home plate, dragging his bat on the ground.  The first pitch he hit a home run!  He limped around the bases."

By now my husband was clearly emotional, remembering the feelings of pride and love and awe...his eyes were moist.  And I was glad that Jane picked seven for corner view. 

***

We are raising three kids, as most of you know.  The first two are girls, they have been easy for me.  I understand girls, I get them, I know how to motivate them, I know what makes them tick.

My son, as it turns out, is more of a mystery.

Gary and I have been talking about that lately, the psychology of boys, and how Gary is better equipped to guide us in raising our boy, because he understands boys.

Duh.  Took me awhile. 

And somehow this story of courage, and strength, and being a hero -- a true uncomplaining, humble hero, is one I realize will help me understand my son even more.

Next week's corner view theme is "humor."

For more corner views go here:  

53 comments:

nadine paduart said...

hi theresa. my name's nadine, i live in belgium. thank you for hosting corner view. i've yet to discover your extensive blog...

Kenza said...

Thank you for graciously hosting corner view!

kristina - no penny for them said...

i don't know the first thing about baseball (or rather, just the very basic outlines of it), but i loved reading your post!

Lollipop said...

Hello theresa, My 7 cv is online...
see you!

shayndel said...

Lovely 7 story, and so sweet that you could find all that out from your husband from a Corner View inspiration! 7 is a great number, and now there's more reasons why:))

;) said...

A perfect reason to love seven ! Wow !

Have a sweet day

Isabelle said...

a very touching story for a great CV ... thanks for sharing

Lisa notes... said...

What a lovely story. So glad that "seven" happened to be the theme so we could hear about Mickey Mantle and your hubby. Thanks for sharing.

Francesca said...

Never heard of Mickey Mantle! My boys idolize their tennis heroes (Federer and Nadal), while my little girl still idolizes her mommy:)

KathyA said...

Mickey Mantle was indeed a hero -- a real man and a gentleman. It calls us back to a gentler time -- before all our heroes seem to have clay feet.

KathyA said...

I left a comment over on corner view -- but this I didn't say: I never knew Mickey Mantle was so hot! :)

Elisa said...

What a sweet and inspiring post. I like when boys talk about baseball. I have 5 nephews and my daughter is the only niece. she gets along well with the boys, (she is only two) and let me tell you she is not your ordinary girly girl, No, so she tends to get along better with daddy and she loves "boxing" with him. Ha that's something I would never do. but all the power to Dads!

Kari said...

I love these kinds of stories - athletes who play just cause they love it. And and athlete with polio, what an inspiration!!
as for the girls and boys - oh sometimes i don't get my daughter but my husband does!!
Thanks for graciously hosting CV.

Conny said...

Fantastic! What a great history that honors the number 7. Without it, I doubt I'd have ever learned it on my own. Thanks Theresa.

***
My son and yours are the same age. I didn't know if the baby would be a he or a she, but felt certain that God would give me only what I could handle - He knew that I'd figure it out. As I learned how to nurture a boy, I learned so much more about the man I married. It's been fun.

Cheers~

soisses-dasleben said...

mine favorite number is also 7! thank you for making the actual cv... yours dani

Deniz said...

what a wonderful story!
and 7 is the favorite number of my DH too (not sure why will ask him tonight)- he likes it so much he suggested that it should be the number of kids we have (?! talking bout understanding men!), well i think we should take it one at the time (we have none! so far ;))

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

My Huzz's fav number is 8, so I'm waiting for a CV with that number !!!
Great story about your husband and Micky.
I'm raising a boy and a girl. I definitely need the advise and help from Huzz about boys. I'm from a family of all girls and the energy, willpower and busy mind of my boy is something else! My little girl is just 2 and we are just seeing her little self coming through. Wonderful.
Thanks for hosting CV for a while.

Emily Young said...

Thank you for hosting Corner View today, and for sharing that inspiring story. It's nice to meet you!

Lynn said...

Hey, Theresa. Yes, I'd like to still do Corner View. The last couple weeks haven't worked out, since the photo a day thing didn't jive with it due to weather or laziness! But I love doing it, and now that I don't have to use a photo I took the day of Corner View, it will make it a lot more feasible for me now. Will you guys be going the Mr. Linky route so we know who has posted?

See you next week!

Anonymous said...

oh darn, i missed corner view this week! but yes, i do want to keep on playing, so please keep my name in the list, thanks!

Maia said...

Great post - beautifully written.
If you're updating the list, you probably should leave me out for the time being...though I have so loved doing it, I find myself overwhelmed this season. Maybe when times are a bit calmer...

Juniper said...

Thank you for hosting cornerview. I could not stop myself from reading your entire post, what a story. I agree with your husband, he is the perfect kind of hero. I had no idea he suffered so much pain for the love of baseball. I had heard of his talents but thats it.
Having the same feelings as regards having two daughters and a son I liked what you said about your concern for understanding your boy, boys are different and for me a bit of a mystery still.
hope your enjoying the week
-Juniper

et lille oejeblik - a little moment said...

beautiful cv, theresa. and now i realize corner view is back :) must follow up ob this asap :)

have a happy day.

Di said...

Hi Theresa!

I do want to keep doing Corner View- just never seem to get to it - so yes - please keep me on - you've just nudged me into action!!

And I love your story!

Unknown said...

please keep me in the list, Theresa. I am having a stressful week, but I really want to participate.

anna said...

What a great story! Much can be accomplished when you put your mind on it!

isabelle said...

very moving post...
I still do want be part of corner views, but might not be able to participate to all of them. Is that ok?

Redeker said...

Hi.... my cornver view is in now...on wednesday I usely do the wordless wednesday, so the corner view goes on thursday! I don't know the NY yankees, but it looks good!
Have a nice day, love Susanna

katy said...

I'm so sorry, but I still don't understand how to participate in corner view. Is there a way we can find out what the view is and what day we should post it on ahead of time? Sorry to be so dense. Thanks for you help.

jane said...

thanks t!
xxx

inna karenina said...

thank you for the comment! I haven't been able to blog much during this and last week because of a lack of internet connection - and I am not really sure if I can participate anymore.. (I would love to though!) but if you could keep me on the list for a while still, and I'll soon let you know?

Shokoofeh said...

Dear Theresa,
Thanks for the comment and thanks for asking. I love to keep doing CV. But I am not sure if I can do it every week. So please let me know if it's a problem. Thanks.

outi said...

hello Theresa!
i might have to give up of Corner view at the moment. maybe later i´ll come back again.

and thank you for sharing this story:)

Theresa said...

Hey everyone - No problem if you don't do CV every week. We are just trying to get a sense of who is really in, who is not, etc. If the list is more accurate we will all enjoy clicking through it more, and finding each other :)

Cole said...

Hi Theresa~ Thanks for checking in- Yes- I still want to do CV- sorry I missed the last couple- I'll be there with humor next week though! Thanks for hosting!

ticklishfromadistance said...

He is my son's fave! And YES to CV for me! Thanks!

sunnymama said...

What a great story! Thanks for calling by at my blog and sorry I haven't taken part in Corner View yet since the summer break but I absolutely do want to continue being a part of it and will do next week. Humour is a wonderful theme for Corner View and I'm really looking forward to seeing all our different humour! :)

Lynn said...

Hi again. Mr. Linky has been changed to linky tools. You can find it at www.linkytools.com. All it is is a tool that allows people to post a link to their blog if they're participating in a particular meme. An example of it can be found here: http://www.ishouldbefoldinglaundry.com/2010/09/you-capture-signs.html

Just scroll down to the bottom of Beth's post and you'll see and example of the linky list. It might be really helpful for you and everyone else, because they just have to go to Jane's (or your) post for the CV that day, and if they're participating, they just post the link to their place. That way everyone doesn't have to weed through a list every week hoping that the person they're clicking on is participating. If they've signed up with a link, you know they've posted.

Just a thought. :o)

RosaMaría said...

what a fantastic story! I can imagine your girls around Gary while he was telling the story!

liza said...

Such a great post. I didn't know that about Mantle... I only knew he was a great player. I will take a break from corner view (not reading them, but doing them). I am not getting to my blog as much as I'd like these days!

Ana Cristina Abreu said...

hi theresa
it's too sad to leave corner view but you can update the list without my name, i don't want to but i have to. i really don't have time right now, my master's degree it's taking a lot of my time.

happy day for you!!

Daan said...

Hi dear theresa!!
I'm up for CV next week!
It's been quite crazy here, theatre season is starting and that's the most busy time of the year for us.

Thank you for hosting and see you next week or sooner ;-)

-x-

merel said...

I'm still in for corner view..I'm looking forward to make the next corner view..from today off I'm back in blog world after a long vacation!

Bree said...

i'm in! i'm in!

;D
xp

Tally said...

Hi,
thanks for your so very friendly comments and for your 7-story.
I was going to say: see you next week, but the next topic is the first that gives me riddles.
Well, I'll see. CV is such a good blog-project, I like it so much.

Valerie said...

this was an intersting corner view ! I enjoyed reading your post ++

I'm sorry I missed it due to sickness.... but count me in for the future :)

I agree : a boy would have been more of a mystery but a girl seems so easy (so far !) for me to understand & take care of, esp. she looks like her momma very much !!

Don said...

Great post!

I'm on vacation right now but will return to corner view in a couple of weeks. Please keep me on the CV list, thanks.

cate said...

oh, theresa. love your family. i always come away from your blog with such a sense of joy. you really inspire something about seeing your children and allowing them to be who they are. thank you.

the first installment of my CV is finally up! off to read the girl's posts. xoxo

tanïa said...

Hello Theresa, thank you for your haunting story about Mantle. Never heard of this tough guy!

I just returned from my holidays and found out that cv is back, too! So happy about that! I'll join in again next week, so please put me in the list, I'm not yet in it. :)

Cacahuete_sr said...

hello :) just received your comment since I've been away. I'd still like to do corner view! Will be back now that I am home :) thanks!

Juliette said...

Hi there - yes, I still want to do CV - thanks for hosting btw! I'm having camera issues, so it looks like I *should* be back on board next week!

also - cool post on 7!

l i s e said...

hello theresa

Even if i'm a bit absent these past corners I still want to do corner view, try to be on next wedeneday, my camera is broken!!!!
Thanks for sharing
happy corners

Cheryl Cambras said...

hi theresa, lovely post. i think for now, i'll be a visitor of everyone's CV. my little ones need most of my time right now.