My baby is in first grade. Last week there was a celebration at school where the children all did "culture boards" depicting images from their ancestral roots. I live in a multi-cultural place. Parents were asked to send in bite sized pieces of ethnic food as well, on the day before Thanksgiving. I didn't realize we would get to taste the food. There was quite a spread of snacks, deserts, meats, breads, and pastries. My favorite was a homemade lentil pastry made by a family from Poland. Also there was this delicious chocolate pudding dish with fresh strawberries...yum! This is our first year at this school. There are many sweet things about it, and although it is large (700 students), the teachers are wonderful. My son has an especially great teacher. She has been there 14 years, she loves kids, she is down to earth, intelligent, organized, and easy to deal with.
I didn't plan the above photos, except for the one of Shawn with his teacher. On "Culture Day" he left something in his classroom, and although the room was locked, I was able to get someone to let us in. It was magical being in there alone with him. Shawn was so proud and excited to show me around his classroom. He showed me his artwork and schoolwork, his journal, and then happily posed for the photos. The earnestness of a six-year-old is precious.
Up until last year all of our kids attended a small private school in our town (the only private school). We wanted them to get a good education and felt this was superior to the public option. Interestingly, our son is happier in public school than he ever was in private school. After ten years of trying different educational options for our kids, I have come to see that it all boils down to the teachers and discipline. You can have a terrible teacher in a great school, and your child will have a bad experience. You can have a fantastic teacher in a not so good school, and your child will have a great experience.
The pricipal and the disciplinary perspective also sets the tone of a school. In our private school discipline was lax (I know, usually the opposite is the case.). That was the main reason we took our girls out of school. They were being constantly mistreated by peers and there were virtually no consequences. Discipline in school makes kids feel safe. I ran into a parent today who has 2 girls at the private school and she is dealing with the same thing. I keep hearing about this problem over and over in this school community.
I have given this issue lots of thought, how to deal with diverse groups of kids and create a moral group consciousness, which results in respectful behavior. It can be done, but there needs to be a lot of structure, empowerment given and accountability asked of the kids, and parental support. I think schools should not only teach academics, arts, and athletics, but character building, conflict resolution, how to be a friend, how to be a decent person. I always tell my kids that it doesn't matter how good they are at sports, music, art, or school, if they don't know how to be kind they will never succeed or be happy. I am ashamed to say that the U.S. seems to be raising a generation of selfish, insensitive, rude kids. And I for one am not going to be a part of it.
To end on a positive note. All of our kids are happy in school, and they all have loving, kind people guiding them in their education. For that I am grateful.





3 comments:
yay for a sucessfull school story!! I am a primary teacher by trade (although am mostly home nowadays will littlies - who come with me to school when I do teach!)...and I totally agree with the idea of your kids education being as good/great as their relationship with their teacher - to a BIG extent! SOme of us teachers rock as teachers, as parents, as human beings...and some totally don't! Its in all areas of life huh! Am so glad you have a 'goodie'! x
Because my son is also in 1st grade, the first thing I noticed was how wonderfully neat your son's handwriting is. Very legible.
We have T in a private school because our public school is overcrowded and, more often than not, English is the second language. My brother moved to a "better" school district so he wouldn't have to pay for private education. Is "better" really better when there are 30 kids in a Kindergarten class and 1 teacher? Hopefully we all do what's right and "best" for our children.
I'm glad you wrote on this subject today. Thanks.
Shawnie's becoming such a great kid and brother! I'm so proud of him!
Post a Comment