Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

February 11, 2014

corner view~slow

I know, it's missing a spoon

Things have been pretty slow around these parts.  At the end of January the kids all got sick, one after the other, and it went on for a long while.  Gary and I cared for them all day and some nights.  We were a great team.  I brought many trays of food to all of them.  They went through two huge pots of chicken soup with fresh herbs from the garden, they drank juice mixed with sparkling water. The poor kiddos all felt awful with high fevers.  But they are all better now, thank God!

I have a friend who says his parents had this attitude that when this happened they would say, "Just havin' a little life."  I like that, not catastrophizing things. Seriously, there is little to really get upset about when you have your basic needs met.  

Yet I find I do get stressed when I get behind, because I lost a week of time to do my additional duties.

Still I find great value in slowing down, especially when I have a lot on my plate. Slowing our thoughts, slowing our actions, slowing the need for constant chatter, and simplifying our lives as much as we can is the key to a balanced life in my realm.

I continue to make time for my meditation practice when I can.  I find two interesting results from this. First of all, afterwards I am more focused. Secondly -- and this has happened three times recently -- afterwards I have more energy.  And this was especially great because both times when I began I felt quite exhausted.

Life with teens and pre-teens can be constant movement, activity, conversations, and in our world, rock 'n roll.  But there is deep wisdom in stillness and quiet, and this happens when we know how and when to slow down.

13 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Yes, slowing down is a good thing. Glad everyone is feeling better now!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful, and I'm glad that they're all on the mend!

KathyA said...

What a healthy outlook. I think you're right about the illnesses making us slow down -- changing our energies for a bit.

I'm glad the kiddos are now well.

simply bev said...

This has been a tough winter. So many people getting hit with viruses and the flu. I'm glad your kids are on the mend. Stay well!

Heather said...

Glad they are all better! And who needs a spoon? Lift the bowl and drink the soup - then you don't have to wash the spoon!

Beth said...

Inspiring perspective. I recently read an article about slowing down and I took it as a gentle nudge. Yet, I too get a bit frazzled when I get behind. I was laid up most of the time we were off school: the extreme cold revs up the fibromyalgia several notches. I couldn't concentrate on school work.
Glad all are better now. It's good that you and Tom could give them plenty of TLC.
I love the mixture of patterns in blue and white with the colorful multi-colored placemat---perky and soothing simultaneously.

shayndel said...

Great how you are learning from your meditation practice! So nice to be able to slow down and letting life unfold how it needs to…
♡

Menthe Blanche said...

We must find a balance between quiet and multi-activity .... it's not always easy, it's my quest!

Bonnie said...

Glad everyone is feeling better.

nadine paduart said...

yet again, teresa, i couldn't agree more with your thoughts on the topic.
n♥
glad everyone's up again...

Francesca said...

I don't like the slow pace that comes with illness ... (like right now, for us).
i'm so grateful that you keep reminding us about meditation, and how beneficial and important it is.

Redeker said...

Getting sicks, sure slows you down! But it's no fun at all, tiring!
the meditations seems like a good thing to do to slow down!

Cobalt Violet said...

Glad everyone is well now! So many crazy bugs this year. I'm constantly telling my students to cover their mouths with they cough. Cute little soup setup! Such a good mamma.
I have to get back on the meditation wagon!