Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

January 23, 2013

part two of the retreat that seems so long ago

On the third day the sun came out.  After breakfast and meditation, we went to the beach and walked and swam.  Then we all went out to lunch.  I got Thai food.  I walked around the gardens on the property, snapping a few photos.  We ate a wonderful Indian dinner prepared by a group of ladies.  That evening there was a public program with an inspirational talk and devotional songs, up in the room I was sleeping in.  I was settling into my solitude and could feel my quiet heart.

On the forth day I slept in.  Then I took a walk in the neighborhood with my friend Lucy and her dog, Shama.  The area reminded me of a place I once lived.  Some of the group went to the beach, a different one this time.  We went out for lunch.  Then we went for smoothies and stopped off at a sustainable farm where we did an informal tour.  That day I thought about integrity, and peace, and stilling the mind.  The mind, the mind, the mind... is it ever still?  Maybe for a few seconds.  The evening ended with another public spiritual program.  I ran the mini bookstore both nights and sold some items, which was fun.  All of the profits go to humanitarian charities.  At ten o'clock we ate yet another dinner prepared by the same group of ladies.  

On the fifth day I packed my bags and had my final breakfast of toast, ghee, honey.  Fresh squeezed tangerine juice mixed with whey powder to make a frothy smoothie.  A quick meditation and it was time to pack the cars and trucks and head to the airport.  But first we stopped off for lunch at the Thai place, coming full circle.

What a beautiful trip.  What a beautiful gift I was able to give myself, a place to return to year after year.  Thanks G and my kids and Bill and Lucy and Swami for making it happen.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've just caught up on your amazing restorative retreat -- how blessed you are to have taken this time for yourself! It's amazing how much we need these things yet do them so infrequently. I hope the positive effects carry you forward for a long, long time --

Francesca said...

what an amazing place and experience! i think the hard part in these things, is to be able to re-live them in our daily, ordinary life.

Le monde dÖ said...

Simply beautiful...

shayndel said...

How wonderful that you could do this!
I feel so much peace and renewal in your posts,
and light is emanating from the page!!
Happy journey to your true and radiant self!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! And I love reading about this amazing retreat...and those pics took my breathe away! I'm so glad to have come here - your retreat sounds so soothing and centering for your spirit.
peace

Cobalt Violet said...

Beautiful! Such peace. Reminds me of years ago when my parents lived in Thailand ... the water, the orchids ... so lovely.