Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

November 2, 2012

ps to halloween -- moderation

When I was a new mother wise people told me to trust my intuition when it came to making parenting decisions.  Time and time again I heard this advice, from my mother, from older parents, from my midwife, from the pediatrician.

Every year when our kids go out on Halloween night we make the most of it and all have fun with it.  But after they are home and we see that they have once again gathered gobs of candy we struggle with what to do with all of it.  We don't think it is good for them to ingest regular quantities of sugar, food dye, and preservatives every day for a month, or longer.  When we have allowed this they have always ended up getting sick at some point, due to the tax on their immune systems (this is our theory).  So we usually let them keep some candy, and give the rest to the local firefighters.  Still we find that after days and days and days of candy after school, they are addicted to sugar, and it lasts all the way through Christmas. 

This year they have more on their plate.  They are busier than ever before with sports, schoolwork, etc.  Annabel is doing theater, writing a "novel" and recording her songs.  Sky has joined a youth group.  And Shawn is playing a new instrument and writing his "novel."  Not to mention the new realm -- tons of socializing on weekends, especially in the evenings, and therefore they are staying up later than they used to.

When we returned from summer travel we decided to experiment and cut video games from their life.  So far the result is more time for creativity and after a little initial grumbling, their lives are no worse for the wear.  They still get to watch videos and occasional tv shows (which have a beginning, a middle and an end).  In moderation.

A month ago we noticed that they all seemed a tad, addicted to sugar.  With Halloween and the holidays coming we decided to stop buying them sweets, and filled the house with more fruits.  Guess what?  Upon initial grumbling, and Why can't we have Doritoes and candy like other kids, this is kinda lame Mom they are just as happy as they were before.  And so far, way healthier.

In addition they all have milk allergies that had gotten bad and two of them are allergic to chocolate.  Guess what?  After the initial grumbling they have all been very responsible in avoiding these foods.

Just a couple of days ago Shawn said to me, "Mom I have been really good at showing restraint.  There were chocolate cupcakes for someone's birthday in school and I could have just had one and you never would have known, but I didn't.  But it was really hard!"

My little man.  He is learning valuable lessons that will translate in time.

epilogue - We offered them dinner at their favorite restaurant and sorbet for desert, in exchange for tossing all the candy.  They countered with keeping some candy instead.  We allowed them to each keep seven pieces of candy.  The rest we gave away.   We witnessed the gathering, sorting, and trading which seemed just as much fun as the eating for them. 

They will survive this deprivation no doubt. :) 

4 comments:

Chey said...

Oh that sugar - so much more work to regulate it now that it is in everything. I have definitely become a food label reader.It is not very often that we keep "junk food" in the house - more like we buy one thing as a treat. My boys are pretty good at regulating their intake - choosing not to have cake and ice cream at birthdays often. We also are now only using Almond Milk in our house. Kuddos to you for creating a home that promotes good food choices. It is worth the hard work now!!!!!! Have a great weekend!!
Chey x

Le monde dÖ said...

I think you're right and always have to follow your intuition!! Nice experience...

Francesca said...

as a foreigner, i just find so strange how an event created for children to have a special night and for neighborhoods to celebrate together can become such a health hazard. and I agree with you, you have to part of it, but with moderation, like with everything in life.

likeschocolate said...

I think it is such a great idea! Though I have not done this myself. I think the candy is about to make a leave. I noticed my son having a more difficult time in school this week. I need to find something that he values in exchange for the candy. Unfortunately, no allergies, but if I don't find something that is a good exchange for it he is going to feel deprived. I know my kid. I am thinking on it. He is a little like me. When my father cut out the sugar I went hog crazy when he wasn't around. I don't want that for him. So happy you have found a solution. I almost wish we could do away with this aspect of the holiday. When it first started treats were such a rare thing, but now our children can have them just about anytime. I think it is outdated. I am glad that our school didn't have a party.