Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

July 20, 2011

corner view~through the eyes of a child

 Shawn sees Chicago for the first time

This summer we have traveled to many places since we left home in early June.  We have been to Los Angeles, Washington DC, Virginia, Paris, Giverny, Annecy France, the Cinque Terre in Italy,  Chicago, and Miller Beach in Gary, Indiana.

Everywhere we go I am interested to see what wows my children.  They are especially fascinated with massive buildings like the Eiffel Tower and the skyscrapers in Chicago, the Hollywood sign (which we saw pretty close up -- it is huge), as well as expansive views like what we saw in Italy from the tops of cliffs we climbed.  I feel very lucky to have been able to visit all of these amazing places.

It's so easy to get bogged down with the stresses of life that we adults face.  That's one of the many blessings of being around children--remembering to see the world through their eyes.  When I bring my camera everywhere, and look to capture the beauty everywhere I go, especially when it is a new place for me, I am a child seeing something for the first time. 
 
I haven't blogged about all of the places that we have been to yet, but I will.  I hope you'll have a few minutes to visit my recent past posts and see some eye candy.

p.s. The first Ask Skylar episode should be aired soon.  Talk about through the eyes of a child!  Based on edits we have seen this show is going to be great!  Skylar even wrote the theme song :)  Stay tuned...I will post about it here for sure, and if you have kids/teens that want to participate let me know and I will direct you to the right place to submit questions.  They are getting kids from all over the world sending in questions, which is great for the show, because it is outreach based.

20 comments:

Joyce said...

I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures. I can't image being away from home this long and with my short term memory I would forget where I was after visiting so many places :-) A wonderful experience for your children. Continue to have fun and safe travels my friend. xo

PS I haven't been on the computer much so I thought I missed the opening of Skylar's show.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Traveling with children is such a gift. Love it.

cate said...

can't wait to hear all the details, theresa!
you must be so proud of S. will tune in for that.

PoetessWug said...

Yes, I've been following your posts of your trip. Very nice. I look forward to future ones too. :-)

Kristin said...

Wow, you've made ​​great and long journeys. Travel with children is always an adventure. They discover other things than we do and this is often very exciting.

tanïa said...

It's so interesting what children are sometimes amazed by...sometimes it just needs a noisy construction site rather than a world heritage building! ;o))

Francesca said...

You're so right Theresa, I too feel like I'm seeing and discovering the world through the eyes of a child when I'm with my camera! Looking so much forward to seeing Sky's first episode, and hope our connection will allow it!

Dorte said...

look forward to more about all your travels this summer and you are right about seeing as a child with the camera ... and so exiting about skylar´s show :)

SARO Arabic said...

the joy of travel is to see and share-in the joy of your travel companion.

likeschocolate said...

What an adventure these children are having. Can't wait to see Skylar's show!

likeschocolate said...

Wow! What an advenure you are having. Congrats. Can't wait to see Skylar's show.

nadine paduart said...

magical, thrilling shot, theresa! looking forward to your travel stories. i will know go to giverny, if you don't mind, 'cos i saw it 'ere, peeking round the corner...
n♥

Beth said...

So true what you've said about seeing places and occurances through a child's eyes---much different than from our own and usually quite refreshing.
How did you pack for all that? Whoah--a lot of traveling! I'm looking forward to the photos.

And I'm very interested in Skylar's show---my grandchildren, two in particular, will love it.

Also true what you said about the camera. Writing my blog and thus being drawn into photography has been like opening a door covered in ivy (so much you couldn't see the door)and walking into a whole different world with colors, textures. lines, and shapes I'd forgetten about! It's wonderful!

Redeker said...

what a great journey and travling with children than you have to make the journey through the eyes of the child! and your other child is doing well!! great!

flowtops said...

We'll travel to Germany in a few weeks time (just across the border), to places where I've been before without Top3 and Top4. I am curious what I will notice now that we travel as a family.

I'll be on the lookout for Skylars show!

sophie said...

Nice post, I love the lesson the CV teaches us this week, there are so many ways to see through the eyes of our kids, or with our own kid's eyes...
Lots of good places you have visited, lucky you ;-)
Have a great summertime

shayndel said...

Yes, children really help us to become children dont they, or rather to re-connect with the child in us...Happy Travels!
Best wishes Skylar!!

Don said...

It's true... a camera helps you see like a child. Everything is fresh.

Cobalt Violet said...

That's what I love about being with my nephew. (Almost 6!) Seeing what wows him and watching him experience things.

Look forward to seeing more!

KathyA said...

You're so right! When we traveled with our children, it was always so much more of a joy than without them. Watching their discoveries was awe inspiring.
Don't get me wrong -- there were down times -- they argued constantly!