Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

May 5, 2010

corner view~garden

I am most at home in a garden.


Whenever I visit my parents and sister in the New York countryside, soon after I have said my hellos to everyone, I find my way to their gardens to see what they have growing that I can smell and sample.  I try to be subtle, but I think they know I love the plants almost as much as I love them, like they are part of the family for me.

Last summer I began eating herbs and flowers as snacks.  And I swear my husband thought I had become a rabbit.  These days at home, every day I eat tulsi leaves and seeds, Thai basil flowers, and arugula.  My mom has a flowering sage and lavender, my sister has arugula that is different than mine.  I love it.

If I ever come to your home and you show me your garden, I will probably consume something you didn't know was edible.  Sorry in advance. 

Today I talked to my gardener.  He loves growing things as much as I do and I am happy to report that he is going to look after my veggies and fruit trees while we are gone this summer for two months.  You have to love plants to take care of plants well.

I planted ten more tulsi plants yesterday, mulched some of our flower beds with wood chips, and bought three bags of chicken manure today.  That will fertilize my plants until I can get chickens of my own... Just kidding, Gary.

I am also happy to say that I am seeing more and more honeybees in the garden, as I let my herbs go to seed and they are all flowering.  So pretty.  I am worried about the decline in honeybees.

It is hot here now and I water the plants everyday.  They are happy when I come with the hose. 

I love the miracle of gardens.

 
For more gardens around the world go the sidebar at Jane's blog.

19 comments:

Daan said...

A paradise!

soisses-dasleben said...

BEAUTIFUL. we don`t have a real garden till now...

RosaMarĂ­a said...

wow! that is amazing Theresa, you have a real beautiful garden!

isabelle said...

it must be wonderful to have such a garden!

Joyce said...

WOW so beautiful! xo

Life As I Know It said...

Beautiful! Gardens make us happy, I think.

We are getting more and more into veggie gardening. The kids love it, too.

Conny said...

A paradise within paradise! I like visiting others' gardens too. When I visited my grandparent's home in Marin Co. (San Anselmo) I always had to make the rounds in their garden to see how things were doing. My grandfather terraced his small hillside with cinder blocks. Good memories.

Skylar said...

I love it!

Conny said...

P.S. to your comment on my blog about San Anselmo - Now I'm feeling inspired to write a post about that place. I spent a lot of summers there, hiking over Red Hill to get to the Sir Francis Drake H.S. swimming pool. I think we could get in for around 50 cents.

Francesca said...

What a lush garden! I also love visiting other people's garden: so many different ways of growing the same plants, and so many different plants!

la ninja said...

oh wow, you ARE a serious gardener. nice one. I grew up in a city and managed to kill my mum's plants (on the balcony) every time they went on hols and left me in charge... ay!

(pssst, I also read your love of tulsi can be dangerous, though. steady on... wink ;P)

;) said...

I love this kind of miracle as well !

Don said...

You're right! Every garden is a miracle.

KathyA said...

So lush and beautiful!
Yesterday I planted my tomatoes and did some weeding. Today, I pruned the lavender the way I should have two months ago. It is way too early in the season for it to be THAT leggy. I hope it recuperates. I noticed a few blooms on my Knockout roses! YAY!!!
And you can graze in my garden anytime you like!

Angie Muresan said...

You could certainly teach me about what's edible as I have no idea.

sarapirat said...

garden of eden.
amazing how many plants and flowers are edible that most people don't know about. at some seasons, there's simply a huge free buffet outside!

t does wool said...

gorgeous garden.
Happy Mother's Day

shayndel said...

Wonderful, edible garden!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

I am right there with you on the garden love. I can't imagine life without gardening and gardens. And that last pic is amazing...what an oasis and riot of color.