
We just spent the last week having a monk ("Swami," of the papaya dish) in our home. He came to our neck of the woods to host two evening programs. For us it was like a retreat from our busy life. He came with a group of six people, all of whom stayed with us. We knew some of the people, and others we met for the first time. Every person who came was gracious and helpful, and we thoroughly enjoyed having them in our home.
This is the third time we have hosted Swami, and everytime he comes it is such a special time. There are lots of meals shared, walks on the beach, prayers and singing, laughter and love. And stories.
Oh, and cooking. Yes he made the papaya dish again, after hearing how much people have loved it. We were picking the green fruits from a tree in my yard at 5 p.m. for a program that started at 5:45. And guess what? I have been leaving out an important ingredient. Fresh grated coconut. Just a tad. I have to say, his dish was better than mine.
After the program we fed a group of about forty people, there were many dishes to share, but the papaya dish was most people's favorite. He grates the fruits by hand, not in the food processor, he uses a little less oil than I have, and cooks it for less time so the papaya is firmer.
During this visit the earthquake hit Haiti. Swami will be going there with a team of doctors.
I think people who live a life of service and contemplation are good for the world. It's good for all of us to be shown an example of love and compassion, patience, and humility. Swami has a great teacher for that, no doubt.
This is where we will be sending our donations to help the people in Haiti. The power of prayer is also not to be underestimated.







4 comments:
Wow... what an amazing experience to host a swami in your home. The photos look delicious, and are making me hungry! :) Is there a recipe? Thank you also for the link for amma, I will head there next to do what I can!
Theresa, thank you for sharing with us Swami's visit. I've never even been close to a person who irradiates so much compassion and love. Hugs to you and yours.
Sounds like a great visit!
And, thanks for letting me know about your blog changes. I'll have to start following you at this one!
What a wonderful experience for you. I am in awe of your closeness to these holy people and thank you, once again, for including me in your thoughts and prayers!
Post a Comment