My favorite dish these days is something I learned to make two years ago. I don't even know what it is called. An Indian monk taught me as he cooked in my kitchen, several dishes going at the same time, all recipes his grandmother taught him. We call it "Swami's Papaya Dish." Here is the recipe, in my style, which isn't too accurate with measurements:
3 hard as a rock green papayas
2 whole onions
1 green jalapeno pepper
brown mustard seeds
olive oil
tumeric
salt
Prep:
Chop all onions into small pieces, peel and remove seeds of papayas. (Seeds will be white, not dark colored.) Shred papayas through food processor, so it resembles cole slaw.
Creation:
Cook mustard seeds in oil over medium/high heat until they begin to pop. Then add chopped onion and more oil, brown this together, stirring occasionally, over medium heat. Add 1/2 thinly sliced pepper (this is optional, this will make it hot). Add papaya, and more oil, enough to make it moist, 2 tsp of tumeric and shakes of salt to taste. Add a tiny bit of water if you want. Cook til everything is soft. Serve with rice and plain yogurt. Be careful not to faint, it's so good.
Addendum: If you can't get hard green papayas, ones that are slightly ripe work, but the dish will be sweeter. This is also delicious.
I plan to make this tomorrow, I will try to post "after" photos soon. I have papayas growing on our property, perfectly green! Below is them a month ago. They are bigger and more plentiful now. I'm so excited. This papaya plant was a volunteer from my compost bin. It's more like a tree.
Closeup of papayas a month ago. They are rounder now.
For more corner views from around the world click here: jane



13 comments:
i´m so going to try this. love that it was taught to you by an indian monk! besos!
was just going to write that: taught by an indian monk, impressive. sounds like the real deal! ;)
delish, ta.
This recipe sounds amazing! Thanks!
Me too love that the recipe came from a monk. I like the photo of the tree. Thanks for the recipe I will give it a try. Is it served as a side dish?
Oops me again. I just saw your comment. Theresa, do you have some of your grandmother's painted porcelain pieces?
In my area it is becoming a dying art. I don't paint with the group as much because of work schedule, but when I did a few years ago I was the youngest in the group. Their ages ranged from 65 to 95!
xo
Oh this looks interesting ... I have never tasted green papayas, only mangos. I will definitely have this recipe in mind if I stumple upon some green papayas here.
Thanks for sharing!
Oh, everytime I come here I learn something new. I never saw papaya trees before and the dish sounds delicious and exotic. I'll be back to check for after photos.
sounds yummy - it makes me wish I had a papaya tree! I love anything with jalapenos :)
what a funny way that fruit grows!
sounds yummy.
Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
The green papayas don't clean you out?
If I find papayas... I'll try !!! and... thanks for this recipe and you amazing pictures !!!
I always thought of papaya as fruit, to peel fresh and eat, and had no idea you could season and cook it while green! I hope to make the swami's dish one day.
how lovely to see a papaya tree!!
Post a Comment