Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

October 14, 2009

corner view~love

To me love is many things, but what touches me most at this point in my life is selfless love.
 
The greatest example I have seen of selfless love is Amma, a world reknown living saint.  Some people come into this world to show us pure, unconditional love.  Amma sits and hugs people for most of her waking hours, patiently listening to their problems and consoling them, her right cheek bruised permanently from all of the human contact.  At the same time she is acting as CEO and answering myriad questions about the vast charitable organizations that she oversees, that cater to the needs of the poor and unfortunate all over the world.  I have witnessed Amma's selfless giving for more than ten hour stretches, although she has sat for much longer.  Amma has been doing this for 37 years, sleeping only a couple of hours daily.  She visits cities all over the world, keeping a grueling schedule, with never a day of rest.  And she never charges money for giving of her time.  Imagine the strain on your body.  Imagine a person being able to do this and maintain optimism and joy.  Imagine the perfect mother.

When asked once to consider taking a rest and vacationing in Hawaii, Amma responded, with a smile, "If your son were sick, or sad, or needed you, would you leave and go to the beach?  Of course not.  You would stay with him, console him and help him feel better.  This is how it is with Amma.  All are my children, and I cannot leave them to take some vacation."

Whenever I personally see Amma, although she has hugged over 29 million people to date, she always remembers me and my family.  She asks detailed questions about our life, and brings up issues we have discussed with her, reflecting an incomprehensible memory.  She always gives great advice.  If I am sad, she comforts me, if I am happy, she laughs with me.  She asks nothing personally of me, only that I strive to love the best I can. 

Today Amma is actually in Holland, and will spend the next month offering free programs in many European cities - Mannheim, London, Paris, Munich, Toulon, Milan, and Barcelona.    http://www.ammachi.org/tours/amma-tours/europe.html

Perhaps some of you who live in Europe are meant to meet her. 

Believe me, it's worth the effort.

You can read more about Amma here: http://embracingtheworld.org/  and see a video about her work here: Amma

Click on here for more "Corner Views" on love from bloggers around the world.  This project was created by the lovely Jane from Spain. http://www.spaindaily.blogspot.com/  I see that Sophie, from France also loves Amma...

16 comments:

jane said...

i´ll go check it out. happy day!

Unknown said...

belle photo!
bonne journée!

Francesca said...

I didn't know about Amma, and her selfless work (and love). Thank you.

malo said...

I've never heard of Amma. What an amazing woman. I'll check the link now. Thank you.

liza said...

I did not know of this beautiful woman. Thank you so much for the introduction.

caitlin said...

Interesting!

Lisa notes... said...

I'll have to check that out. I've not heard of Amma but she sounds amazing. Selfless love is definitely the highest form. Thanks for sharing.

shayndel said...

I love your picture of the rose and your post is inspiring about Amma and this way of love. I didn't know about her either, but will see your links. Thanks.

Traveling Mama said...

What a wonderful example to us all! Thank you so much for sharing!

Jeannette said...

I saw a documentary about Amma...such an amazing woman. And what a wonderful thing that you have met her, more than once.
Have a great weekend and I will check the link this weekend to read more about her.

Anonymous said...

Lovely rose !!!

Mare said...

You are right...i do love this post. Thank you my friend...love, mare

april said...

i heard about amma. now i know a little bit more. ill'go and check it out. thankyou for your thoughts and words. have a wonderful day*

Christyn said...

Un Amour de Rose
pour un corner view " love"
bonne journée
christyn

Mulot B. said...

beautiful pink !

cole said...

Thank you for the Amma link :) how wonderful!